Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Teaching a 7 year old to sew

My friend Ida Mae, has a 7 year old grand daughter. They came over to my house a week or so ago and like most people she was fascinated by my sewing machine and asked me if I could teach her how to sew. I told her yes, I would. Age isn't the most important consideration, to me it was the motivation that was most important. I figured that we would start off with a simple project, a pillow. I had an old pillow case in the closet (can u say FEMA?) that she could use to practice a straight stitch on and away we went. It took her about half an hour to get the hang of it, getting distracted every once in a while, but I steered her back on track and soon she was sewing a pretty good straight stitch.
I set my machine up for embroidery and let her type in her name on the touch screen and watch it come to life on her material. It was a plum colored raw silk for the pillow and a darker plum for the embroidery.
Finally, I let her sew her pillow together, leaving a hole to fill it. I top stitched the edges, then let her fill the pillow with stuffing then sewed the hole closed and below is her and her pillow.


No comments:

Post a Comment